Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Gullywhumper, March 1957



Today's post hails from March 1957 and shows the Gullywhumper Keelboat taking another lap around Tom Sawyer Island with Fort Wilderness in the background. A closeup of the lucky guests who are aboard:



I have serious doubts that the Gullywhumper permanently docked in front of the non-burning Burning Cabin is the same vessel as the one shown in 1957. Like Fort Wilderness which was torn down for a much inferior replacement, the Gullywhumper is a mere shadow of its former self.



More Disneyland Keel Boats at my main website.

3 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I'm so glad I rode the Keelboats before they were removed. I loved the spiel on that attraction. The Rivers of America was like Tomorrowland in that there was so much kinetic energy with the steamboat, sailing ship, rafts, canoes and keelboats all operating on the river at once. It was always exciting to see.

As for the replacement keelboat, I think it works fine for the scene it's placed in. Thanks, Dave.

Snow White Archive said...

Been a while since I checked in, but still enjoying your posts Dave. Thanks for the dedication.

Matthew said...

Agree with you about this being the same keel boat. Just look at the draft and you can see they are different. Somethings fishy here. ;-)

Thanks Dave for calling out that Rat Bast@#$%*! over at Instagram. Fifthrider has already made a comment or two... and once I get an Instagram account I will let him know also. SO WRONG!

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle