Friday, June 26, 2015

All Hail the Combine!

I had the pleasure of attending an event at Walt's Barn in Griffith Park on Saturday. Although the focus was on a new display celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the Disneyland Railroad, I was most excited to finally see the Combine in person. For those not familiar with what a combine is, it's a combination (thus the name) passenger and freight coach.

The one on display near the Barn gave many years of faithful service to Disneyland guests.

And it looks brand-spanking new!

It was such a treat to be able to board this historic coach.

The section for freight:

To put things in perspective, here are a few vintage 1950's images showing the Combine in service at Disneyland:

January 1961:

August 1962:

September 1965:

Undated 1960's:

For more information about visiting Walt's Barn and the Carolwood Foundation, be sure to visit their website.

More Walt's Barn photos at my main website.

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr.


K. Martinez said...

Gorgeous! It must've been a thrill boarding history.

Fifthrider said...

Wow, looks great. I had no idea it was restored or even still existed. Thank you. I'll be making a trip in person to see someday soon.

Ugh, I know it's the 50's but there's no excuse for that yellow hat the man in the 9th picture is wearing.

Darryl R said...

Walt and his toys