Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Arcturus



Daveland has just upgraded its collection! Today, I can present a beautifully sparkling color shot of the Arcturus Astrojet from March 1964. Previously, my best shot of it was this Black and White image:



Just because I know this question will come up today, here's the answer: Arcturus is the brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere and is part of the constellation Boötes. In ancient Greek, the name means "Guardian of the Bear." Prehistoric Polynesian navigators knew Arcturus as Hōkūleʻa, the "Star of Joy." Arcturus became famous in the US when its light was used to open the 1933 Chicago World's Fair.

Are you feeling just a little bit smarter today?

See more Daveland Astrojet photos at my main website.

3 comments:

K. Martinez said...

This is great! I love visual confirmation of names given to Disneyland ride vehicles in attractions such as Astrojets, Jungle Cruise, Submarine Voyage and Storybook Land Canal Boats.

Actually my question was how close are you to completing your Astrojet name collection?

JG said...

What Ken said.

Daveland said...

Ken and JG - When I get some free time (!) I will see which ones I have left on the Astro Jet collection.