Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tomorrowland Art Corner Submarine Cutout

Thanks to Daveland reader Rick Schneblin, I have now expanded my Disneyland vintage cutout collection to include the Submarine Voyage. It seems that these cutouts were at various locations. Rick seems to remember that this one from a 1965 trip to the park was located in the Tomorrowland Art Corner. As he recalls...

"The photo was restored from a badly damaged original (that is what took the most time), and I believe the year was 1965 when I was ten. We were on our way to the Flying Saucer attraction, and I remember the photo place was just around the corner. I am in the diving suit, my brother is on the left, and my dad is watching on the right.

"My parents got divorced when I was nine. Walt was kind of my surrogate father. For visitation days, my dad asked me where I wanted to go, and it was always Disneyland. What kills me is my dad was a shutterbug and never brought his camera to the park!!! I guess he did not want to risk losing his Leica.

"My earliest memory was how hot it was to ride in Nature's Wonderland, and how relieved I was for the coolness of Rainbow Caverns. I never cared for the little house on the teetering rock…it looked fake. It seemed like YEARS that I had to wait for the Pirates of Caribbean and Haunted Mansion to open, but the wait was so worth it. I remember the thrill to this day of those two attractions, and I had the privilege of expressing that joy to X Atencio as well as Alice Davis.

"I also remember the summer heat relief I got at the Fantasyland theater. I do miss the quaintness of Main is pretty much a shopping mall now. Sad. The Magic Shop has only a fraction of the appeal…sigh."

Thanks a million Rick for sharing this great family photo!

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage Disneyland Tomorrowland Art Corner photos on my main website.


Anthony "Pants" said...

That mermaid kind of looks like a blonde Ariel.

K. Martinez said...

Rick - Thanks for sharing your family photo and personal memories of Disneyland. I love your description of the hot days on the Mine Train as I too remember looking forward to the coolness of the Rainbow Caverns back then.

Darrin Vindiola said...

Anthony.. you're right!! A blonde Ariel! I think it's the eyes that cinch it.

Connie Moreno said...

What a great post!