Saturday, April 05, 2014

UCDA Design Summit in Indy, Pt. 1



I just got back from the UCDA (University and College Designers Association) annual Design Summit, which was held in Indianapolis. As chairman of the Summit, my calendar was fairly full during my short visit, but I still did my best to squeeze in some photo detours as well as reunions with close friends that I had not seen in a few years. Sleep? Who needs that.

The host hotel was the Hyatt Regency, which did absolutely nothing for me architecturally. The outside. The inside was not much better. The fact that my bank statement shows a mystery $200 charge that was not reflected on my checkout bill has left a very bad taste in my mouth about the experience. Wanting to resolve it today was impossible, as the billing department is closed til Monday. I think I might be inclined to fight the charge for the "premium" internet now, which I quietly accepted before.



Moving on from my rant about the Hyatt (did I also mention that the mechanics of the elevator kept me up all night, too?), Napolese Pizzeria provided my first memorable meal in downtown Indy. I took two shots of the signage, and couldn't figure out which one I liked better. First shot provides a somewhat different angle:



The second one is more straightforward, but does have an American Flag and the Circle Center Monument in the background. I think I prefer photo one because of the angle. As for Napolese, it's a definite winner. The pizza was delicious.



Even though it was fairly cold outside (at least according to Southern California standards!), I wanted to take a few shots downtown while it was sunny out. Heading towards Union Station, I decided to see if I could get inside for a few shots.



The exterior Romanesque architecture is impressive, especially with its 185' clock tower that looms over the area.



The last time I'd been inside this impressive facility was at least 20 years ago; other than for rented event space, it has been closed to the public since 1997.



Fortunately, a side entrance allowed me to get in for a few shots, which proved that it was still being well taken care of.



Even the small details, like these tiles (which I would guess might have been made by the Rookwood Company in Cincinnati), caused me to pay attention.



The jaw-dropper is the main hallway, with its large stained-glass rose window.



Heading upstairs, I captured this much smaller window, also ornately decked out.



This area now functions as serving/bar area for functions, but I imagine it was once a ticketing area back in the day.



Down the street from the former Union Station is the 1933 Lounge, which perpetually celebrates the end of prohibition.



Cute them, and an appropriately dark yet cozy interior.



My first conference event was the Faculty Dinner, held at the Eagle's Nest restaurant at the top of the Hyatt Regency. The view was spectacular, and constantly changed as the dining room continued to rotate all night long.



Our speakers for the Design Summit included Herbert Krabel, known for his creative Guerrilla Marketing.



Rex Whisman, Director of Marketing & Communications at the Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado Boulder:



Rick Bailey, Founder and Principal at RHB in Indianapolis:



Tom Walker, Lead Designer from RHB:



Tom's sessions focused on the lost art of type, showcasing pieces from "back in the day" before computers caused some of the craftsmanship to disappear from printed materials.



How about this creepy yet oh-so-cool closeup?



Last, but definitely not least, was Rebecca Salerno, Director, Creative and Content Marketing at Indiana University Kelley School of Business.



Last one for today shows that I missed the memo that plaid was back in style, as displayed in this shot:



More photos from my trip to Indy to come.

See more Daveland Indianapolis photos on my main website.

1 comment:

JG said...

Ha, looks like we were in Indianapolis the same week.

I was in a conference at Keystone Crossing, which was markedly less cool than the downtown.

Sorry to hear about the hotel snafu. I find now that the lesser hotels, (Courtyard, Four Points, Hyatt Place etc.) include free internet, and the more expensive ones, oddly, charge more for it.

Get with the program, hotels. Wireless needs to be free. They don't charge extra for towels, soap or toilet tissue...

JG