Wednesday, February 19, 2014

All Aboard the Disneyland Stagecoach



From 1955 until 1960, Disneyland guests could take a bumpy ride along the trails of Frontierland inside the comfort (?) of an old fashioned stagecoach. The first image for today is from 1955, followed by a November 1958 shot.



Naturally I had to zoom in for a detailed closeup. Something tells me that there's no way safety codes would allow guests of today to ride on top of a Stagecoach.



You'll note that for publicity photos, the Stagecoaches were not quite as full!



See more vintage Disneyland Stagecoach photos on my main website.

5 comments:

Mark said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Thank you, Dave- for reminding us of what Disneyland used to be as well!

Mark
InsightsandSounds

K. Martinez said...

Dave, do you happen to know how many different stagecoaches they had at Disneyland for this past attraction?

Hendel said...

Knott's Berry Farm still operates a stagecoach ride (and yes, riders can sit up on top).

Daveland said...

Mark - You are welcome!
Ken - Not sure; I have seen at least 2 different coaches. I can't imagine they would have made many more than that.
Hendel - If Knott's had the kind of attendance that Disneyland had (along with the high volume of lawsuit-happy guests), I can guarantee you they would remove the upper level seating. Unless they put in metal safety bars, of course!

K. Martinez said...

@Dave, Thanks. I've seen one stagecoach with a mission scene on the carriage door, another with a desert rock formation scene and another with an evening scene. I suppose that between the Stagecoaches, Conestoga Wagons, Buckboards and Pack Mules it was pretty busy in the early Frontierland painted desert area. How I wish I was born a little earlier to see it.