Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Trip to Philadelphia, Pt. 1



My annual trip home to Philadelphia began with (drum roll please)...dinner. Instead of fighting rush hour traffic, we took a detour to Society Hill and ate at Bistro Romano, a little gem of an Italian Restaurant that I discovered a few years back.

This painting of a sea nymph by William de Leftwich Dodge of New York hangs over the restaurant's staircase; it is a favorite of mine and I admire it each time I visit. It once graced the luxury liner City of Detroit III – a side wheel passenger steamer that was built in 1912 and operated by the Detroit and Cleveland Navigation Company. The ship was dismantled in 1957, but fortunately the painting survived.



The dining area down below is extremely warm and cozy.



Mom, her hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal.



I'd show you a picture of the White Truffle Gnocchi I had (which melted in my mouth), but the photo just didn't do it justice. My photo of the Sicilian Cannoli fared a bit better. Boy was it delicious!



One of the things I miss the most about living on the west coast is fall. The colors of the leaves as they turn is just magnificent. I was too late to catch my favorite season this visit, but as I was doing my morning run, this tree with its radiant red foliage screamed out to me. I returned that afternoon with my camera.



It truly looked as if there was a spotlight on it.



I was also able to enjoy the beauty of sunset as it lit the barren trees from behind.





Later in the evening, the moon was gorgeous as it illuminated the surrounding clouds.



Another tasty dinner was experienced at Yangming in Bryn Mawr. I had heard my mom talk about this upscale Chinese restaurant for years and finally got to experience it for myself.



The dining room was well spaced and tastefully decorated.



The General Tso's Spicy Chicken was fresh, flavorful, and had just the right amount of spice to it.



The green tea ice cream was a refreshing way to end the evening.



By this point, I really needed to go for a run! Time to get the elastic pants out. Tune in tomorrow for a trip to Brandywine.
See more Daveland Philadelphia photos on my Philadelphia web pages.

No comments: