Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Rock 'n Savannah, Pt. 7



Today marks the end of my Savannah posts (until my next visit there, of course). What better way to start off a morning than a beautiful plate of fluffy lemon blueberry ricotta pancakes? Breakfasts at the Hamilton-Turner Inn are always delicious and sure taste great after a morning run through the historic district.

The next few photos are from the City Market/Ellis Square area.



This vintage postcard shows you The Old Market House, which once stood on Ellis Square. Replaced by a parking lot, it is now gone to the ages.



Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed a few years ago and replaced the hideous parking garage with an underground structure, restoring it to the lovely park-like area that you see here.



This statue of lyricist/songwriter Johnny Mercer (also the cofounder of Capitol Records) is a nice salute to Savannah's native son.



Back on Bay Street, for the last dinner of this visit, Vic's on the River was the restaurant of choice.



Typically, Vic's rates at least one meal per visit, thanks to its understatedly elegant interior, delicious food, and attentive service..



Traditional Fried Green Tomatoes are given zest with a tangy tomato chutney.



The Swordfish melted in my mouth.



The view from Vic's balcony is pretty spectacular, too. The river sure looks purty at night.



The next morning, I awoke at the crack of dawn (5am) so that I could get some shots of River Street as the sun was coming up and before it got too crowded with tourists and delivery trucks.



What I didn't count on was the sudden drop in temperatures.



Of course I got my photos, but narrowly avoided freezing my fingers off! The things photographers do to capture what they see; it's a perilous job! Here, the Westin is beautifully lit by the rising sun in the distance.



River Street is typically an area that I avoid because it seems too touristy and commercial. In the early morning light though, I have a deep appreciation for it.



Next, it was time to pack up my bags and catch a plane to Philadelphia. I was able to snap an aerial view of the windy city, Chicago:



a detailed view of the Pier:



Today I bid adieu to Savannah, but if you'll return tomorrow, I promise to take you with me to Philly!

See more Daveland Savannah photos on my Savannah web pages.

2 comments:

K. Martinez said...

The swordfish dish looks awesome. Nowhere else do I enjoy food so much without even eating it.

What a perfect aerial shot of Chicago. I like the view of Grant Park in the "zoom".

Daveland said...

Ken - The aerial shot was one of those times when the plane banked at just the right moment and I was able to get the camera settings done quickly!