Monday, September 09, 2013

Trip Report: Welcome to Storybook!



The next area on my photo checklist was the Storybook Land attraction. Having read about Rob Fendler's work at restoring some of the original buildings from the original attraction, I was inspired to go back and get some more detailed shots of what is currently there.

Photos of Monstro are not difficult to come by.



However, when I saw this vintage image, I was startled. Rarely (if ever), do you have a shot taken backwards from the boat. This one is from the 1960's:



My intention was to duplicate the shot, but on this journey, there were too many people in the boat and I was seated in the wrong section to get an unblocked view. Next time! Instead, I photographed a detail previously unnoticed by me, which is this little guardhouse atop the bridge:



And then the home of Fiddler Pig:



Reaching Peter Pan Park, I noticed that the golden Peter Pan statue had disappeared.



The village of Agrabah came into view next. I understand the legal need of the railings that are cropping up all over the park, but not only are they not visually pleasing, they make a sad statement about the lack of personal responsibility that people are willing to accept today.



The treasure glistens in the cave:



Leaving the darkness of the cave, I quickly snapped one of the Dwarf's cottage:



And then I reached my destination: Cinderella's Castle and the village below.







A few from Alice's Village:





Gepetto's Village, with the Matterhorn looming seamlessly in the background:









My last shot was this one of Prince Eric's Castle, from the Little Mermaid:



I really have to give props to Disney for continuing to keep up the quality on this attraction. Even though the buildings have been replaced and changed over the years, the amount of abundant details remain. This is the type of thing that separates Disneyland from the competition.

See more vintage & current Disneyland Storybook Land attraction photos on my Storybook web page.

4 comments:

K. Martinez said...

WOW!!! Image 3 (backward view from inside Monstro)is beyond cool. I love it!

HBG2 said...

This attraction never seems to lose its charm. It's a quiet classic. And I totally agree with you about the railings. I read something recently that I thought was funny: "Look, I'm not advocating the death penalty for stupidity or anything, but why don't we just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Anonymous said...

I don't always comment but I wanted to say how much I love your site. This entry especially. Thanks!

KCmike

JG said...

What HGB2 said.

I am racking my brain to figure out what building code provision those rails are responding to... and can't figure it out. They do not meet the standard provisions for pedestrian guards with 4 inch rail spacing.

Two potentials: 1. Emergency evacuation of guests from the ride vehicles, and so the 4 inch rail spacing was not provided since this is an emergency use only. Doesn't sound right since that's when you need it most.

2. "Workplace safety" staff maintenance access . Rails in certain situations do not have to meet all code provisions since the staff is deemed trained and familiar with the condition.

I think this is most likely, esp. in light of the news about OSHA enforcements at Disneyland.

Thank you, Dave for the tour of Storybook Land. I needed it. Between you and the Major this week, I am getting a great Casey-Pirate-Storybook dose.

JG