Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Vintage Town Square Tribute



Because of its location, Town Square often gets the shaft at Disneyland. Guests are in such a hurry to get to their favorite attraction that they run through this area, missing many of the memorable features located here. To correct this, I am doing an entire post dedicated to Town Square...from a vintage perspective, of course. The first photo for today is from May 1956, when the park wasn't even a year old yet. Looks a bit empty from a guest and landscaping perspective, doesn't it?

From April 1958 comes this faded print, showing a festively costumed lady on a horse; I don't know any details about what's going on here, but it would appear that she is participating in some sort of contest or parade.



This elderly couple from September 1959 is walking by the Hills Brothers Coffee Garden, which is now used as a character meet and greet area.



The sky may look ominous, but I still love the color and composition of this May 1962 shot:



Town Square is also where guests board the Disneyland Railroad and get to see the inside (and outside) of my favorite Disneyland Train Station.



Had to zoom in for the details of this one, especially the oh-so-simple strollers.



This lovely Tour Guide photo is from 1967:



Last photo for today is from May 1974, and Town Square is crowded with both guests and balloons:



Zooming in to see the center of the commotion:



and to see the signage for the Fire Wagon:



Next time you're at the Park, make sure you spend some time in Town Square - you'll be glad you did!

See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland Town Square photos on my Town Square web page.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Love that train station shot!

V @ No Privacy At All Around This Place! said...

Those look like the same blue strollers that my parents used with my little sister in 1987!

K. Martinez said...

I agree with Major. I absolutely love that train station shot! I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it.

Town Square has always been my favorite place to hang out and people watch. Especially during mid-afternoon when the "land" attractions have long lines. Always people coming and going. For many it's strictly the beginning and ending points of their Disneyland visit. Extra nice post today!