Monday, December 24, 2012

'Twas The Night Before Christmas



As a child, the anticipation of Christmas was almost (if not more) exciting than the actual day itself. Every year, I looked forward to seeing Santa in person (typically at B. Altman's or Gimbels) and telling him what was at the top of my list.

On Christmas Eve, the stockings were definitely hung with care...



And I loved having the story of "The Night Before Christmas" read to me before I went to bed so that Santa could do his work.



Combining the famous Clement Clarke Moore poem with photographs from the seasonal display at the Elias & Co. Department Store over on DCA's Buena Vista Street, I am presenting to you this Christmas Eve treat. You will note that photos do not cover all of the words to Moore's poem. For whatever reason, a few have been left out; I even went back to check a second time to make sure I hadn't missed one of the displays. I have filled in the blanks for the missing portions. I have included both the long shots and the closeups (to make it easier to read).









And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,





The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,





"Now, DASHER! now, DANCER! now, PRANCER and VIXEN!
On, COMET! on CUPID! on, DONDER and BLITZEN!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.





The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.









To those who celebrate Christmas Eve, here's to an evening full of excitement and wonder. To those who don't, the wishes for wonder and excitement are still the same!

See more vintage & current Disneyland Christmas photos on my Christmas web pages.

4 comments:

stu29573 said...

I love that first shot of you! Thats a guy who knows what he wants and where to go to get it, lol! Merry Christmas,Dave!

JG said...

Dave, you've got my vote.

Great pictures, thank you for sharing.

JG

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Dave!

KS

K. Martinez said...

Merry Christmas Dave! You have my vote.