Monday, October 08, 2012

Route 66: Start To Finish



In a previous post, I displayed a photo I shot of the Santa Monica Pier. Daveland reader JG was kind enough to send me a corresponding photo that he had recently taken. As he tells it:

Here's a recent shot of the Route 66 start on Adams and Wabash in Chicago, a block or so from the old entrance to the Art Institute. Hope you enjoy it, now you have both ends of the road!



This is the kind of stuff that makes blogging worth it. Thanks to JG for sharing and completing the puzzle! See more of my photos on my photography web pages.

6 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Now that is cool!

JG said...

Hey, that's my photo! Now you have a complete set of bookends.

I've been to both ends too, and I am not sure which end is the most fun.

I certainly enjoy the Santa Monica pier, but Chicago is a great city too, I think the east end is currently winning as I get older.

My Dad grew up in the LA region, he told me when he was young, long ago, they could ride the Red Car trolley from their home near Lankershim to Santa Monica pier for a nickel. All gone now.

Dave, thank you for posting these pics, a lot of fun. A chance for me to give back a little in return for all the pleasure your Disney pictures have given me.

JG

Angela said...

A very interesting piece of history.

Major Pepperidge said...

Whenever I see that sign at the Santa Monica pier, it makes me smile. It's cool to see the counterpart in Chicago.

Connie Moreno said...

COOL!!! It has always been one of my dreams to drive THE ROUTE from beginning to end!

Daveland said...

Connie - I planned to do the same thing when I moved from Indiana back to So Cal; however, after a few hours on the road driving my hunk-of-junk Wagoneer, I just wanted to get to my destination!