Thursday, October 18, 2012

Matterhorn Cutout Fun



Initially, when I saw this first image come up for sale, I was going to pass on it. I already had two other cutout images for the Matterhorn in my collection. However, I noticed that this particular one had a bit of a "backstage" feature to it, as the cameraman accidentally caught the edge of the backdrop and the framing holding it up. Note the left-hand side. What a great idea to have the date as part of this souvenir photo opportunity!

The other ones in my collection are from December 30, 1962 (note how this group only had 3 people, so the 4th "face" was filled in with a cartoon character):



And from June 18, 1963:



As a follow-up to my previous post on Space Mountain construction, Bill H. sent me two shots from opening day, May 14, 1977:





See more vintage and current Disneyland Matterhorn photos on my Matterhorn web page.

5 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I love the Space Mountain shot(very last pic). This was before they ruined the architecture of this area with the Magic Eye Theater and the extra spire for Catain EO marquee.

Dave - In the last pic, notice the twinkle lights in the near center? That whole lit interior area is "The Space Place" restaurant I was referring to in a comment I left some time ago.

The Dismal Trader said...

Love the cutout! Simple but super neat! I'd buy something like this over the digital pictures they take of you on rides!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember the opening wait for the Space Mountain, i think it was close to two hours. I went twice that year, once in late May, with my high school honor society, and again in the fall, with my Mom and Dad. Dad rode the roller coaster with me, Mom sat it out, of course.

The fall trip was my last trip with Mom and Dad, a bittersweet memory now, but of course, I did not know that then. Sometimes, it's good not to know the future.

For me at that time, Disneyland would always be there, just like Mom and Dad, and all would always be better at each visit.

Now that I think about, the opening of the Space Mountain was the apotheosis of Disneyland for me, it has only gone downhill since, and so have I, I guess.

And even after all this time, I miss Mom and Dad so much. In these pictures, we're still together and happy.

Thank you Dave, Bill H and K. Martinez. I really appreciate it.

I think I have something in my eye...

JG

Daveland said...

JG - Thanks so much for sharing. Some people may say that Disneyland is "just a theme park," but it really means so much more. Walt's idea of kids sharing a day together with their parents/family was a truly special idea.

K. - Is The Space Place what Redd Rocketts is now?

K. Martinez said...

Dave - Late Answer, The Space Place service counter was where the Space Mountain Fastpass distribution is and the Space Place dining area incorporated the non-Mission to Mars dining area of Redd Rocketts plus the level above it overlooking the Space Stage (Magic Eye Theater) when it was open air.