Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Disneyland October 1965, Pt. 2



Very few batches of vintage Disneyland slides are without views of the Chicken of the Sea Pirates Ship Restaurant. I get especially excited when they include views of Skull Rock Cover. I truly believe that this area was a masterpiece of artistic rock work and set design.



A view of the Matterhorn taken from below the Monorail track:



Alice doesn't seem too popular on this day.



The October 1965 photographer took a journey on a Skyway bucket towards Tomorrowland and captured Storybook Land on the left...



The Castle & the top of the Carrousel on the right...



back to the left for Monstro and more Storybook Land:



The top of Alice:



And the Monsanto House of the Future:



I had to zoom in to see what the tent on the left-side of the photo was; any ideas?



Back on terra firma, here's a shot of the buckets themselves:



As well as the House of the Future:



closer...



closest...



One more installment to go!

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage and current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland photo web pages.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I learned from a smart commenter that the yellow tent was the Monsanto Home of the Future Gazebo... "which was a kind of garden tent with metal lawn furniture inside and some Star Treky planters around it." (thanks to D ticket).

Anonymous said...

Ditto @Major. After the HOF, the tent location became a souvenir stand for a number of years before disappearing.

Dave, this is a splendid series. Thanks.

JG

K. Martinez said...

Great set today. I agree! The Skull Rock Cove and dining area was a masterpiece in all aspects. For me it's the one sore spot of the Fantasyland re-do.

As much as I enjoyed House of the Future back in the day, I think my favorite version of this area was Alpine Gardens. A garden setting designed simply for relaxing and stepping off the main drag. It doesn't seem like there's many of those areas at the Park anymore.

Davelandweb said...

Thanks Major & JG!

K. - There are still a few relaxing areas left, but if I told you where they were...

Connie Moreno said...

Groovy, baby! I was wondering...WHEN did they switch to the squarish Skeyway buckets?

Davelandweb said...

Connie - It was in 1965 that they did the switch.