Monday, January 09, 2012

Carnation Plaza Gardens, November 1995



Thanks to the Ulyate Family, here are a number of photos that they shot of the Carnation Plaza Gardens, circa 1995. I have also included some recent shots for comparison, like this one from 2007:



At one time, you could actually order food here. Note how Big Thunder Mountain was still visible in the background in 1995:





Same floor in 2011, but the addition of a disco ball and a number of other decorative elements:



Vintage attraction posters line the back wall in 1995 when the restrooms were located here along with a food service stand:



Today the back wall area serves as an architectural transition into Frontierland:



See more vintage & current Disneyland Plaza Garden photos on my Disneyland Plaza Garden web page.

8 comments:

Thufer said...

The pictures are all beautiful and capture a special place in the park. That said....look at those posters. Oh my; dumbo, rocket jets, peoplemover and peter pan. All vintage, all just a pleasure to see.

Connie Moreno said...

Wow, I never knew you could order food there. I always thought it was just ice cream you could get. You know, the bathrooms are still there but hardly anyone uses them.

CoxPilot said...

Dave: As I recall (could be wrong, but . . ) we had a disco ball in the early '60s too. However; they didn't call it that back then, since disco hadn't come around yet.

The food was basic, and I never ordered anything but drinks. I think it was much like the Space Bar fair.

Great pics. Really strange that you can now go through to frontierland. We used to do that as employees, but the gate was to the far right in that picture.

Kris said...

I remember ordering french fries with Ranch dressing from there. I also sang on stage with my choir around '97. Good times...

Mr. Tiny said...

Is it true that it is all going away? I loved ordering food there because it felt like "old Disneyland." We've done plenty of dancing there and I sang there in Junior High as well.

TokyoMagic! said...

Why does everything look better in "vintage" Disneyland? (We can call 1995 "vintage" now, can't we?)

Daveland said...

Connie - Shhhhh....don't tell anyone about those bathrooms! Nice to have one set that isn't always deluged.

Lee - Now that I look at the 1995 photo, I see that the center of the "dome" where the disco ball would be is actually not in the photo, so I am sure you are correct about it being there.

Kris - If they had only served fries with blue cheese, I am sure the concession stand would have survived!

Wacky - Sadly, yes, it's going away.

Chris - My student employees make me feel "vintage" every day when I hear them talk about what they consider "old."

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I cannot believe anyone would destroy this.

JG