Saturday, October 09, 2010

Screen Gem Saturdays: John Derek & Columbia Studios



I’m sure few people have heard of the movie “Prince of Pirates” from 1953, but I couldn’t resist these behind-the-scenes shots showing what I am guessing is the Columbia backlot. John Derek (Bo’s Svengali) was the “star” of this forgotten flick and Barbara Rush was his costar.









Zooming into the shot we can see that the photo in John’s hand is most likely a make-up test to show what he would look like as he aged:



See more John Derek photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

Very interesting!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Fascinating. The fencing shot shows high hopes for the flick in the actors faces, yet something in the atmosphere says "this is gonna suck".

At first I thought this must be Bo's DAD! Never realized he was 30 years older than her - wow or congratulations or yuck?

Great post, thanks Dave!

Mischa said...

Hi Dave,

Amazing that I just now found your page. Yes this was filmed on the old Columbia Ranch in Burbank. I can substantiate the behind-the-scene images you have with several on my website at Columbiaranch.net or the Facebook page.

Mischa

Daveland said...

Hi Mischa - Thanks for the confirmation and links!