Tuesday, September 21, 2010

December 1961 Blowout



I wish I knew the background on these two children, especially the little girl decked out in her festive costume, but I don’t. Still a very fun shot, circa December 1961. Thufer...please control yourself as you stare at this vintage parking lot view! These 2 girls are standing approximately where the letters for 'CALIFORNIA' are being ripped out as we speak!

Here’s one of the Castle, tastefully decked out for Christmas; this must have been before the discovery of "bling." Ah, those were the days!



This shot of Tom Sawyer’s Island shows what it looks like before attorneys got a hold of it. You know—those pesky legal types who attempt to protect us from our own stupidity.



Continuing around the Rivers of America, we see the same sites as yesterday...only their 3 years younger!





Can you feel the heat of the flames?



...and that deadly spear through the chest?





Fortunately these are friendly Indians; the guests on the train have nothing to worry about.





I can almost hear the thundering falls of Cascade Peak. Sure was a kicker to the end of the journey; today, the Mark Twain and Columbia cruises end with a “zzzzzzzz.”



Zooming ahead light years, please savor these two shots of the futuristic travel of Tomorrowland—The Monorail and The Skyway:





View more Disneyland Skyway photos at my main website.

11 comments:

stu29573 said...

Could the girl in the top photo be appearing in a Christmas program in the park? You know, at the Plaza Gardens or something? It's what first came to my mind...

TokyoMagic! said...

At least one of the Christmas Parades back then had children dressed up in costumes from around the world. Maybe she was participating in that?

Connie Moreno said...

That little girl looked like she was wearing a Spanish mantilla on her head - I used to dress up in one myself. I had grand illusions of being a Spanish dancer. So anyway, it makes sense that maybe she was performing with other children or participating in a parde of sorts. All of these photos are UBER cool but I feel cheated - I could not click on the last two and enlarge them. You ruined my day, LOL!!!

Daveland said...

Connnie - Please hit refresh, click again, and reclaim your morning! Amazing what a few missing letters in the coding can do.

Thufer said...

Connie said 'UBER' hehehehehe : snicker/snicker :

Oh my, a parking lot picture; indeed, my eyes see and my mind remembers; if only my wanting for a return to the old ways and days could come to pass.

Ahhh, the Tomorrowland SkyWay landing; how many times I went up those stairs. What wonderful memories of standing in line and waiting with such anticipation for what would soon be under my gaze.

JG said...

Is it wrong to wish that those pesky legal types had all fallen to their deaths from the plaster peaks of TSI before destroying the concept of personal responsibility?

Cause, if that's wrong...I don't want to be right.

Thanks for the pics Dave.

JG

Connie Moreno said...

JG, all I have to say is....
-
-
-
-
-
RIGHT ON!!

Dave, my morning is now complete!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

2nd to last pic, lots of Vintage Fence!!!!!

Nice batch Dave, thanks for sharing.

JG; I'm with you 100%

The Viewliner Limited said...

Beauties one and all !!!

TokyoMagic! said...

I'm with Connie and VDT....meaning I agree with JG! A flaming arrow through their chests would also work.

William Bezek said...

I have a Spanish dress just like that.