Thursday, July 22, 2010

Traveling Thursdays: Warner Brothers Studio



Although not quite as well-known as The Universal one, The Warner Brothers Studio Tour is still quite a bit of fun. It is somewhat less “staged” and a little more genuine. Whereas Universal has created a number of theme-park elements along the way, Warner Brothers pretty much offers a what-you-see-is-what-you-get experience.

I love seeing the backlot sets; there aren’t too many of them anymore. It’s great to see these buildings that have played a background part in many a classic movie.







One of the coolest things about Warners is that they have historic reference signage outside each Soundstage, telling you what has been filmed there. More than a few of my faves have been shot on Soundstage 6!



To think that James Dean & his monkey once hung out at Soundstage 6...



Wardrobe/costumes/props are on display from faves such as Friends:



Smallville & Gilmore Girls:



Harry Potter:



And the Scooby Doo van; where’s Shaggy?



And while you are in the hood, don’t forget to stop by the Brady house!



See more Hollywood photos at my main website.

6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I had no idea that Warner Bros. had a backlot tour! I like the way they list what films have been shot on which soundstages.

Do you get to see any of the "residential" streets on the backlot tour? I believe that's where the Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie and Partridge Family houses are.

Speaking of houses...thanks for the shot of the Brady abode. I've taken people by there a few times, but it was always at nighttime. I saw the couple that own it interviewed once and they said they put that wall up in front because people would peek in the windows and some would even ring the bell and ask for Greg, Marcia, etc.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about this either. I'm so behind on my studio tours!! I really need to plan a trip!

Daveland said...

Chris - don't quote me on this, but I am almost positive that we did see the residential streets. This was back in the day when I was still using a camera with film, so I didn't take the huge amount of pictures that I typically shoot now.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post - Always wanted to see the Warner Lot!

THANKS for the Brady House shot, Like TM, I've only seen it at night, great to see it in day light!

FYI: the Poltergeist house is just a few miles from me (In Simi Valley) I've seen it recently, looks pretty much the same - "They're here..."

http://www.bigwaste.com/photos/ca/poltergeist/

outsidetheberm said...

Nice post.

We always direct out-of-towners to the Warner Bros tour. It's the closest you'll come to an honest to goodness studio experience. Bumping into a celebrity, however minor, almost seems assured.

As for the Bewitched house etc... pretty sure those facades are just down the street at the Warner 'ranch' lot on Hollywood Way and Oak Street.

Major Pepperidge said...

I live so close to this studio, and am dying to do the tour. Someday!