Thursday, June 24, 2010

Traveling Thursdays: Swimming at Hearst Castle



This summer, I was able to check another one off my list: Hearst Castle in San Simeon. Wow...this place was amazing. I cannot wait to go back! This post focuses on one of the most famous areas at William Randolph Hearst’s estate in San Simeon: The Neptune Pool. The first photo is a vintage aerial shot to help you get your bearings. The rest of these show how the pool looks today; I am ready to dive right in!









Although it’s not the easiest place to get too, it is well worth the trip. And what a scenic trip, too! One helpful tip though: if you plan to visit Hearst Castle, definitely book your tours ahead of time as they fill up fast. See more San Simeon photos at my website.

8 comments:

Donnie said...

I've always wanted to go there too!

William Bezek said...

I passed it countless times when I lived in Cali and never stopped, oh the regret.

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing!! Wow. I need to put this on my list now!

Connie Moreno said...

The last time I was there was when I was 15. Wow! And I took the same tour, LOL! It is an amazing place. If you ever have the chance, try to find a Huell Howser episode on the Castle. He even got to go swimming in that pool!

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

Finally went there last year after decades of procrastination. I took a two-tour package...house and grounds/pool, which though pricey, was definitely worth it! Because really, when are you going to see such historical luxury again? The historical collections are amazing.
Just gorgeous!

Major Pepperidge said...

I went there about two years ago, and was lucky to have a nice clear day like when you went. It was great, only the Neptune Pool was empty due to rennovation. So now I have to go back!

Katella Gate said...

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree..

I could never look at a picture of Hurst Castle without thinking of Charles Foster Kane's Xanadu, and all the baggage that went with it.

Daveland said...

Katella - Years later, Orson Welles went to great lengths to downplay the Hearst/Davies similarities, but once you've been to San Simeon, you also see many of the connections.