Monday, June 21, 2010

Disneyland, December 1956, Pt. 1



I don’t know too much about the background of this batch from December 1956; it appears to be a group of handicapped people in wheelchairs were getting a special day at the park. Other than that, what else is there to know besides the fact that the photographer got some great views of early Disneyland! One additional note here; although these slides came together in a batch, I am not sure that they are all necessarily related or even taken at the same time. There are a few possible inconsistencies (such as the Circus signage and tent still visible in December of 1956), but hey...just deal, as I am going to present them all together anyway.

In the first parking lot shot, you can see some signage on the right advertising (what’s left of?) the Disneyland Circus.



No Flower Market yet here on West Center Street.



This type of signage was also in display in front of the Castle during the early years:



A few shots in front of the Castle:





See more Disneyland entrance photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Thufer said...

Love me some parking lot classics....awesome! TY TY

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

In the awesome parking lot shot it looks like those are special parking spots chained off, I wonder if that was 1956's version of handicap parking?

Why was that sign at the end of West Center Street? I guess so when you hit the dead end you knew where to go!

What a fascinating look at society 50 years ago. In the facial expression there's a mood that could not be duplicated today - to be honest, I think that's a good thing. While there are smiles, you can almost feel the difficult and hard life some of these people had.

Heidi Ann said...

My favorite is the Carnation truck in front of the ice cream parlor!!

Connie Moreno said...

I had to make sure I didn't drool all over my keyboard looking at those cars!!!

I'm glad that this special group of people had a happy day at Disneyland. It probably wasn't very crowded and they could enjoy themselves completely.