Saturday, February 27, 2010

Scholarly Saturdays: Encyclopaedia Britannica & Fantasyland, Pt. 1



The Fantasyland section of this series is the most amazing; not necessarily because of the photos, but because Walt was able to slide this through and to make it part of an educational film strip series. This isn't even a behind-the-scenes-how-we-created it series, but a full-on promotion for Disneyland and Walt's movies. Yup, Walt was a genius and a showman...and a pretty smooth-talker. Plenty of Bobby & Susie in this land!



Two shots of the castle; our favorite little tykes appear in shot #2.





This is the kind of shopping little Susie has been waiting for!



OK...I guess I did learn one thing today as I never knew this fact about the shields above the Carrousel:



Here is one of the shields today:



I'm not touchin' this caption.



Raise your hands if you're ready for a frozen Welch's grape juice bar!



See more Encyclopaedia Britannica photos at my regular website.

7 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

These are fun (ok - maybe not so educational).

When I read the one about the shields I thought "where did Dave find that out" Duh, I guess those aren't your words on the film! Do they still have the shields?

Nice post Dave - I'm looking forward to part 2!

Daveland said...

Tim - I am happy to report that they are still there! I just posted a photo of one of them taken recently.

Katella Gate said...

I'm disappointed that Enc. Britt. didn't address some of the architectural features of the castle. I have it on good authority that the pseudo facade was stripped away to reveal a minimalist rococo design. They might have mentioned that.

Sean Yoda Rouse said...

A friend had heard the story of the shields and before Christmas had asked me to take photos of the shields and banners at the carousel. The 10 shields are still there.

Anonymous said...

what a great blog dave i have been following ur site for awhile and forgot about it I LOVE UR site and now ur blog Cat

Daveland said...

Hi Cat - thanks for stoppin by and the kind comments. Let me know when you start posting again - Dave

Chiana_Chat said...

They didn't mention Bobby & Suzie - what a cute couple - learned that salute from an old Indian Chief on the Rivers of America, did they.

Hm to go there and ride that carousel today I'd need... how much?!

Neat seeing the recent pic tho'. Even though the picture's a long ways from the quality you normally feature technically I still find this a fun series. :)