Thursday, January 22, 2009

Irving Bernstein Collection, Pt. 1



Recently I acquired a number of pictures that were listed as being part of the Irving Bernstein collection. Bernstein was a professor at UCLA; whether or not he actually shot the photographs himself is unknown to me. These photos are undated, but I am guessing that they are from the 1960’s; Bernstein was a professor in the political science department at UCLA from 1960—1987. I love these black and white closeup shots which give a very different feel from the typical medium/long shots that one sees of the park. First up from the Frontierland portion of this series is the wooden indian. I have also done my best to duplicate the angle with a contemporary shot.



Next up are three shots of what I believe to be the Gonzalez Trio, who often serenaded guests in Frontierland outside the Casa de Fritos:







As a follow-up to yesterday’s post: I brought up the “Mary Poppins” audio-animatronic/Disneyland connection and forgot to include the photo from the Carousel of Progress that has the birds that were actually used in “Mary Poppins.” Thanks to TokyoMagic for jarring my memory!



See more Disneyland Frontierland photos at my website.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I must have read it before somewhere, but didn't know that the robins in COP were the very same ones used in "Poppins". Kind of cool! Are they still in use in Florida? After all this time, I imagine they've been rebuilt or at least refeathered.

TokyoMagic! said...

Yay! I always love Carousel of Progress pics. Thanks Dave!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Very interesting close-up pics. I always liked the Gonzales Trio.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to point out the two very different headbands in the Indian shots.

pixiegirltink said...

Dave, did you notice how much older the indian looks in the color shot? He's got lines in his forehead and wrinkles around his mouth. Guess that's what 50 years will do to you, even if you're made of wood!

:)

Daveland said...

Good eye, Tink - he does look like he could use a good nip and tuck, huh?