Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Then & Now: Main Street Pt. 2



The Puffin Bake Shop in Main Street was located to the left of the Penny Arcade on the West Side of the Street, lasting from 1955 until 1960. Today, this area is The Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor (See Patrick...I knew these photos would come in handy!). Structure/ornamentation-wise, these façades have seen few changes in 50 years.





This vintage photo shows Wonderland Music,



And here’s a closeup of the shop window:



Here’s one of the same area in August 1986:



And how it looks today in its Chester Drawer’s incarnation:



As a bonus for today, here’s a closeup of the Plaza Apartments shot from yesterday showing the window:



See more vintage & current Main Street photos at my regular website.

5 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Like the new look Dave. Fantastic pictures as always.

Unknown said...

Wow...

Main Street has really changed over the years. Color-wise, anyway.

Great shots!

Love the new logo. Very retro...

Major Pepperidge said...

Arg, I can't believe it! I was so busy today I didn't get around to visiting one of my all-time favorite blogs until 6:30.

As always, I love the "before and after" shots. Did Patrick think your photos of the Ice Cream Parlor were a waste of pixels??

Daveland said...

Major - Definitely not! But he and I were standing in line for the Tiki release, and I think he was getting a chuckle as I was attempting to get shots without guests...and strollers...it took a long time! But obviously, we were in line long enough to get the job accomplished!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Glad to see the pictures found a post. Yes I was chuckling as Dave tried to get the shot without any strollers. He would suddenly whip out the camera and take a shot. As he said, he had enough time as we waited in line....