Monday, July 28, 2008

Disneyland After Dark: Satchmo



“Disneyland After Dark” was an episode of “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” that aired on April 15, 1962. It is a showcase of talent performing in the park, obviously, after dark. Today I am posting three photos of the legendary Louis Armstrong, aka Satchmo, aboard the Mark Twain. The first photo shows him with singer Monette Moore. The other two show him jamming with the Young Men from New Orleans. This sequence was shot on September 30, 1961.





See more vintage & current Mark Twain photos at my regular website.

4 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great shots of Satchmo, can anyone one person look more happy? I always stand in that exact spot when I ride on the Mark Twain, on slow days you can have the whole area to yourself, close your eyes and you can almost hear his trumpet playing. Thanks Dave!

Major Pepperidge said...

You can see why people loved Louis in these photos, he radiated fun and happiness (besides the fact that he was a genius) in a world that probably didn't treat him very well much of the time.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Great pictures Dave. I saw Mr. Armstrong in 1966 when I was stationed at Fort Polk, Louisiana. He was playing in (if I remember correctly) a big barn type of building in Leesville, just outside the post. A town, that if you did not know what year it was, you would swear it was the 1920's. But I can tell you it was one of the greatest nights of my life and I was very fortunate that I witnessed 3 hours of the greatest music, by the greatest horn player and "Jazz Man" that ever lived. It seemed like it went on forever. It was "AWESOME" !!!

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing Vintage! Last time I was at DL I stood in the same place were they filmed DL after Dark…my favorite Wonderful World of Color. That room is so small! The wide angle lenses made it look bigger.

Don’t you love DL After Dark? I really treasure that Annette sequence. So young and pretty and happy. It’s a dumb song (“Dance Annette”) but I love it! And the Polynesian dancers sequence with the shots of the crowd. Man is that funny! And all the kids dancing at the end and having such a good time. Pure Disneyland.