Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Hodge Podge Pt. 1



I don’t know who came up with the phrase “hodge podge,” but it sure fits what I will be posting for the next few days; I have a few odds and ends slides that I am scanning before I get into my next batch of series posts. So, let’s start cleaning up here! First up is this Jungle Cruise dock view; looks like somebody may have dropped a churro or two in the boat and the crew has to clean it up. Shot #2 is same batch (undated, but 50’s I would guess) with a view from the Mark Twain showing Frontierland. Of course I am including a close-up of the signage. What a geek.





Here are a few random views of everyone’s favorite place to buy plastic flowers: The Main Street Flower Mart. This one is from August 1965.



Not ony were there flowers, you could get bananas and onions, too; circa May 11, 1968:



This shot says it all to me; how many husbands patiently waited while their wife picked out the perfect plastic cucumber?!? “C’mon Sylvia, they all look alike. Let’s go...I want to get home to watch the game today!” (also May 11, 1968)



From September 1960, we have this nighttime view:



Last but not least is an exterior shot showing the Flower Mart’s next door neighbor’s window, the Upjohn Pharmacy, July 1965:



See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

6 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Wonderful pictures as always,Dave. Here is some info for you: Hodge-Podge is a soup made of a mixture of various ingredients. According to the 1903 The Steward's Handbook and Guide to Party Catering.

Daveland said...

Yup - sounds like what I make when I'm cleaning out the refrigerator, not having a party! What kind of catered events were they having in 1903?!? Thanks for the info, Viewliner!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nice night shot, I wish I could get more of mine to scan well without getting grainy!

outsidetheberm said...

Love the vegetable baskets! Now if you could just find a shot of some guest carrying an armload of plastic produce on the Tea Cups!

CoxPilot said...

Really good photo of "He" and "Haw". Those ponies loved little fingers, and a good run down main street.

Amazon Belle said...

Hi-Ya Daveland,

Actually they aren't looking for churro they are cooking one. Every churro is pre-cooked inside the engine of a Jungle Cruise boat to give them that extra "flava."

Actually, that is where the rear guide is located. Oh wait... should I have given a spoiler alert... the boats are guided. One has to stand on top of the engine to get some leverage to raise the rear guide back on the rail. But this seems like a very odd place to derail.