Thursday, January 03, 2008

Disneyland, 1957: Fantasyland



Here we are at the portal into Fantasyland: Sleeping Beauty’s Castle, circa 1957. Be sure to check out the guy in the straw hat on the far left. Lost Adventureland cast member or guest with a sense of fun? You be the judge. The only other Fantasyland pics in the bunch are 3 cute shots of the Midget Autopia with the Storybook dock in the background; that poor girl with the bad hairdo...surely Matterhorn is right that her mama cut her hair. Too bad the Flowbee system wasn't around back then.







Since the Midget Autopia cars had 2 steering wheels, was one a dummy wheel? Or did both have control over the cars on the track? Tomorrow we’ll see quite a bit going on in Frontierland.

See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland Fantasyland photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Yesterday you said that the photographer was a bit stingy with the pictures, but you had those Viewliner pics, and now 3 Midget Autopia photos...I think he (or she) did a pretty good job!

I don't think the Midget Autopia steered at all, it was a very primitive ride compared to the actual Autopia. As far as I know, both steering wheels did not work.

The Viewliner Limited said...

More fine pictures of "True Disneyland". Thanks Dave.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Cool series, love the feel. A “Flowbee” you crack me up Dave. My brother and I used to live in fear that my mom would buy that evil thing! Or course our dad just buzzed our hair with sheep shears anyway! Thanks for these!

Unknown said...

The shots of the Midget Autopia are wonderful! They almost look like miniatures due to the fuzzy backgrounds.

Daveland said...

Every summer my brothers and I got the buzz cuts. There were a variety of "reasons" but I think they were just malarkey.