Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Columbia & The Rivers of America, Sept. 1959, Pt. 2



For the masses who have been patiently waiting since yesterday with baited breath, here is part 2 of my Columbia/Rivers of America Series. We start off with one of my all times faves; the boy with the red DLand pennant on the left is just classic. And of course the Indiana along the river. Although the Indian looks pretty good these days, that poor horse needs a refurb badly. Chugging along, we catch the entire Indian Village, who seems not to care one iota about the large vessel sailing by.





That’s it folks; we are back at the dock. Get the heck off the ship and go have a churro or turkey leg. Hope you enjoyed our little cruise.



Meanwhile, back at the canvas, my Main Street painting commission is just about done:



See more vintage and current Columbia photos on my regular website.

5 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Thanks for part two, now I can breathe again… Neato shirt that boy is wearing, I loved those shirts with dark colors and black stripes, too cute holding the pennant!

Your Main Street painting is coming along superbly; it really captures the feeling and motion of the moment. Nice work!!!!

Major Pepperidge said...

"Look, Running Bear, there goes another 'fire canoe'"!

Your painting is coming along nicely

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, Great artwork. What is your working size?

Seems to me that I remember that indian chief would raise his arm in big "How" as the boat passed. Does anyone remember the same?

Any photos of the interior of the Columbia?

Daveland said...

Anonymous - this particular painting is 20"x24". And the Indian Chief still does a wave as the boat and train pass by. I do have some interior photos of the Columbia (recent ones) on my website: http://davelandweb.com/columbia

Amazon Belle said...

Amazing! From the moment I started dialog with Dave I knew he was going to produce something wonderful. Our choice was between the Chemical Wagon and the Fire Truck. But it was Dave who said the Chemical Wagon would be great but I thought look at all that detail work... but Dave has risen to and beyond the challenge. Take a look at the wagon, the buildings and even the blurring of the horse’s leg that is in motion on the right. It has been a true delight to watch this piece all through its development phases on Dave's art blog. All of the family keeps track of it. Almost there Dave! You Can Do It!

This piece was commissioned for my father's 70th birthday. He is a retired L.A. County Fire Fighter who always took his family to "Fireman's Night at Disneyland" in the fall of the 70's and early 80's. Those special events were great times for our family and this piece captures the spirit of those great times.