Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mr. Toad Façade



This undated shot of the Mr. Toad façade is most likely from 1959/1960. And yes, even though a stroller is in it, I am including it in my blog anyway. The halo around the gentleman’s head is because I did a little lightening behind him so that the mural on the wall would be visible.Here are two more vintage shots showing the old façade; first from October 1959 and the second from September 1966 (with a 3 Little Pig bonus!).





I’ll conclude with a comparison photo of how the exterior looks today; I really do prefer the Tudor look. I feel it is more timeless.



For more vintage & current Mr. Toad photos, visit my regular website.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I have a lot of nostalgia for the old Fantasyland and those flat facades....but it's hard to complain about the beautiful "new Fantasyland", which is spectacular.

Anonymous said...

I first visited Disneyland when I was six months old and went annually until 1997 (that's 1972-1997). I'm sure I must have seen the bicentennial parade, but I don't remember it (I've sent the link to my mom to see if she remembers.

I have a question, though, why do you hate strollers?

Daveland said...

Toni - It's not so much the strollers themselves as the majority of people at the park who use them. Typically, people who have strollers at DLand are oblivious to those around them. They bring double-wide strollers filled with games and activities and items from home—if being at Disneyland isn't entertaining enough for the kid, then he shouldn't be there in the first place. These crazy stroller operators run into people, leave them any place they please, and in general, are just inconsiderate. That's why...and don't get me started on the people in electric carts...