Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Freaky Bicentennial Parade



I am so glad I never saw this America on Parade in person; just looking at this roll could give a guy nightmares. The freakishly large nondescript heads of the characters from this Summer 1976 Bicentennial Parade totally creeps me out. So....thought I’d share the love and post them here in all their glory. The vantage point of our photographer is Town Square. Wonder if he had to put a blanket, stroller, and 3 backpacks down in advance to stake it out?



Would you let this lady watch YOUR kid?!?









FINALLY! Some characters that I recognize. I think I’d take the Big Bad Wolf over any of these other strange giants!













Thanksgiving will never be the same again after seeing this monstrosity in person!



The affirmative action department must have pushed to get this one guy into the parade:



I keep waiting for the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man from Ghostbusters to come exploding out somewhere; maybe he’s hiding in the cannon.



Happy 200th Birthday, America! What a wacky celebration indeed.

See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland parade photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

The parade was actually quite good in its own way. In 1976 America was quite Red White and Blue and the parade fit in with the rest of the celebrations. Some of the concept artwork is great.

Major Pepperidge said...

I remember seeing this parade, and thinking that the doll-like figures were kind of creepy. And I had a Mickey-Donald-Goofy "Spirit of '76" T-shirt.

walterworld said...

I was there on 7/4/76 and it was the most crowded day at Disneyland that I can remember. The parade was quite memorable for me and I was only eight.

During this Summer visit I took my one and only ride on the Mine Train. Next thing I knew it was Big Thunder time....

Thanks Dave!

Geoff said...

I loved America on Parade! It had the greatest music, recorded on an old band organ. Check this video on YouTube to hear the music and see things in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKjQiwaDjnY

BTW, I seem to recall reading at the time that the idea behind the 8-foot-tall characters was so that everyone watching the parade would see it from a child's perspective.