Friday, July 13, 2007

All things Skyway



Today is an all Skyway Day, beginning with an undated slide showing mom and son waving to dad below. I love the fact that they took the time to set this shot up, even though dad’s hand was a little shakey. From September, 1959 I have a few more shots, featuring my preferred round bucket design. View one shows the top of the ticket booth near Casey Junior and the tip of Cinderella’s Castle in Storybook Land.







Here we have guests traveling through the Matterhorn in a round bucket vs. the mod looking square counterpart shown here from February 1969. I’m guessing the round design made it a lot more fun.





I leave you today with my final Skyway image; a June 1960 view of Fantasyland with the Matterhorn up ahead. I wonder if you could ever hear the pounding of a basketball as you floated through the concrete mountain?



See more vintage Disneyland Skyway photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing the inside of the Matterhorn before they installed all the caves. That image of the orange and green buckets is particularly striking.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Skyway spectacular. I have always been a fan of the round buckets. They just look so cool and so of the time period.

DeeBaughman said...

Nice photos :) Just a note, the first "Through the Matterhorn" is linked to the incorrect picture.

Daveland said...

Dee - Thanks so much for pointing that out! Much appreciated - it is now fixed.
Dave

Mr. Mouse Monthly said...

Thanks for the great Skyway pics! I never rode in them myself, a little bit before my time, but your photos are the next best thing to actually being there.

I have been on the gondolas at Great America, so I can imagine hiw cool it must've been to ride them at Disneyland.