Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Then and Now: Submarine Voyage & Nemo



Here are two undated stills of the Submarine Voyage area. I have to admit I preferred the WDW version, with their mini-versions of the Nautilus from the Disney movie; they just seemed a lot cooler to me than the militaristic versions that Disneyland had.



In addition, here are 2 recent photos of the Nemo version. The lagoon has been drained again, most likely to fix the plumbing problem from a few weeks ago. Hopefully all will go smoothly and the June 11 day will be able to be held to.





Over on Tom Sawyer’s Island, construction has begun; markings on a few of the caves, lumber, etc. are all visible from the Rivers of America.





See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I've seen a few photos of the Sub ride, it's nice to see some familiar fishy faces, like the grouper. It's interesting how intense the colors are...more like the Pixar version of the ocean.

Adam Hazlett said...

Once the blue water goes in, all the colors become muted. To counteract that effect they made the colors more intense..I can't wait to see the seaweed floating upright. I wish they would add an animatronic mermaid on that center island, she could wave at people.

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

And the mermaid could say "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

j/k

I couldn't agree more about the Nautilus subs. I saw a picture years ago on the net of the hulls of those subs rusting away out back of MK in the Florida heat and humidity. Too bad. Would rather see that style of sub chugging around the Disneyland lagoon than the rather generic looking subs.