Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Brother Jim’s Birthday Surprise, 1965



I just recently found this batch from what I believe was my family’s first trip to Disneyland in November 1965. My 2 brothers were 6 and 8; I was stuck at home with Grandma because I wasn’t even one yet. Brother Jim was awoken in the morning to find out he was going to Disneyland. What a great surprise! The first pic is mom and my brothers in Town Square. Mom was the height of fashion in her sweater and cat-eye glasses.



Shot #2 is my dad & 2 brothers in front of the Frontierland Trading Post.
Shot #3, judging by the Welch’s Grape Juice Bars that mom and brothers are eating is probably somewhere in Fantasyland, with a little plug for the Autopia on the construction wall behind them.



The last 4 shots are from the Pack Mules over in Frontierland, with some nice views of Rainbow Ridge and the route to Nature’s Wonderland.









See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable Dave, these are great pictures. And of your own family yet!!!!! I think my mom had the same sweater/jacket as your mom. WOW squared on the Pack mule pictures; those are great of the family and surroundings. Thanks for sharing your own private treasures. Tim

Major Pepperidge said...

I agree, what could be better than vintage Disneyland pictures that were from your own family! The oldest photos I can find in my mom's boxes of dusty old photos are ones that I took as a kid with my instamatic. Mostly blurry, about half with my finger blocking part of the photo, and lots of night photos that didn't come out.

Adam Hazlett said...

Great shots! the colors remind me of old encyclopedia photos. I wish they still had the pack mule ride.

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

Those are amazing Dave. I wish my parents had taken more from my first visit in 1965 (I was 4). The last time I saw their pictures they were sadly faded black & whites - mostly from the center of Tomorrowland and of the Indian Village.

These Pack Mule & Mine Train photos are always my favorites.

Daveland said...

I am sure with a little photoshop those bw pics could be brought back to life! Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Hopefully other family trip pics will turn up in the near future.

thepicklebarrel said...

oooo...nice family shots! love mom's sweater...wot a fashion plate!

Tinker Bell said...

Totally great photos! And your mom's sweater is very cool! Thanks for sharing them with all of us. :)

Mark London said...

You outdid yourself Dave. Amazing. I think we may have all had the same mom...where the sweater and shades are concerned, I sure did!

Daveland said...

Just talked to my mom this morning; she still has the sweater, with a dry-cleaning tag still affixed to it!

Mr. Mouse Monthly said...

Great family pics. In the 4th picture down, with your brothers are riding mules, a sign in the background says 'Willand P. Bounds, US Marshall.' I couldn't find anything about it oline. Was this a sly reference to one of Lillian Bound's relations, or an Imagineer, or was it simply made up? Thanks.