Wednesday, October 25, 2006

For Amazon Belle



This first shot (from Dec. 1960) is for Amazon Belle, who liked the horse-drawn trolley pic from yesterday’s post. This one also shows the Hills Brothers House on the right. My 2nd one (July, 1963) is for Tangaroa: a nice signage shot for the Tiki Room, with Uti visible on the left. Hey, you idiots taking the pictures! Get the helloutamyway!



My 3rd shot is of the Old Mill from April, 1960, with a little canoe paddling going on at right of the photo.



For those of you still awake enough to see a fourth pic (don't get used to it!), I have a shot of the Mine Train going through the tunnel with pack mules overhead (Sept. 1963). Before I sign off, I just want to give a little shout out to the people that I have met through this blog, especially Tangaroa, Matterhorn, the Major, Amazon Belle, and Jordan (and yes, there are many others). They can always be counted on to leave great comments and answer all of my ignorant questions when they could really be saying "you dumbass why don't you know this stuff yourself?!?" So, thanks to this great collaborative group and here's to many future posts.



See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wow 4 great images on one day. My favorite is the ETR shot with all the people taking pictures and the lady in the dress in the distance. Thank you for posting the images and joining in on this wild blog ride!

Amazon Belle said...

Thank you Daveland! There is something truly magical about the horse drawn streetcar to me. This is a great photo of it too.

As for the photo of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room for Tangaroa, can anyone tell me when the "Barker Bird" showed up? I looked for him in Uti’s canoe but he's not there. Anyone?

Adam Hazlett said...

WONDERFUL SHOTS Dave. Love that tiki room! I do wish there where more pics of José the barker bird. I was lucky enough to get a 50th replica. I think he was there when the ETR first opened and was removed when it was determined he was causing traffic flow problems. people would stop and watch him talk. The nerve (Shoot, I would have stopped too.)

thepicklebarrel said...

nice ones as usual!

thanks too for posting such great stuff...always a mood lifter!

amazon- the Barker bird dates from the opening of the ETR in 63 and i believe was gone by late 1964. i've also seen at least three different colored versions of him so he was periodically replaced. apparently, a tent-like device was raised from below to protect him from weather and night storage.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks for the pics Dave...years ago I could never have imagined that there would be some sort of forum for people who love vintage Disneyland images! It can be a paint to blog sometimes, but the feedback makes it worth it.

Amazon Belle said...

Tikimoose & Perkypickle, thanks for the feedback. I never knew when he showed up. I just remember they said he was added when the guys and gals who worked out front were having trouble explaining that new art form called audio-animatronics.